Sunday 21 April 2013

2013 Oceanias XCO Championships


As the cross country season and National series came to end, it was time for Oceanias, held in Glenorchy, Tasmania. With a new course this year from those previously held in Glenorchy, it was going to be a level playing field. It was going to be a good race with everyone competing for the UCI points up for grabs. The course involved a switchback climb with a fire road section to midway up the downhill course and a fast flowing descent out of the forest onto the fourcross track, down into the start/finish area located on the local football ground. I landed in Tasmania on the Wednesday before the race, with only a few days to learn the new course. Thursday was spent riding laps, working lines and getting used to the course. The steep fire road section was my favourite part of the course due to the fact that it would break the field up and create an opportunity for riders to get away.




Lining up on the start,  it was clear that it was a strong U/23 field, with Anton Cooper, an U/19 World Champion, Jack Haig, the current Australian National Champion and Dirk Peters, a World Championship competitor. The race was on from the gun, with Anton Cooper and Jack Haig taking the front positions and riding away from the field. I found myself chasing from the first lap, coming back through the start/finish in fifth position behind Ben Forbes. On the climb I managed to break away from Ben and rode in fourth for the rest of the race. With a lap to go I was a minute and a half down on third but was not able to close the gap. I finished in fourth behind Anton Cooper, Jack Haig and Dirk Peters, finishing in first to third respectively.

 




It was a great race and I was really happy with my result. Thanks to everyone who supported me, as I couldn’t have done it without you all. Looking forward to some racing on the road with the Baw Baw Classic in a couple weeks time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment