Thursday 20 June 2013

Val Di Sole World Cup


My second week of my European trip saw me at the third World Cup in Val Di Sole, Italy. This being my first World Cup of the year I was really keen to get right into it. The first few days on course were all about learning the track and working on the different lines and just getting a feel for the course. The course had three main sections with three steep climbs and two technical descents each lap. With the race being on Saturday afternoon at 1630, I was trying to train on the course later in the day to simulate the race time and work out the shadows. 



With a full rest day on Thursday, we took the time to have a look around the valley and some of the local towns. Friday was my warm up day, I had been riding a 34 tooth chain ring all week but I made the decision to put a smaller one on for the race. The 32 was perfect for the steep climbs making it that little bit easier to keep a higher cadence and save the legs for later in the race.

I had a great sleep leading into the race day and felt really good in the morning, ready for a good result. The pre ride went well with my legs feeling fresh and ready. I knew if I got a good start and better my start number on the first lap I was going to have a good race. My second lap was really good and I moved up the field into the top 40. From there I kept going forward each lap until I was in 30th position with 1 lap to go. Down the last descent I had a small off and lost 2 places, finishing the race in 32nd position, my best ever result to date at World Cup. 

For the next month I will be in Belgium training and racing under my coach Yvo on both the road and mountain bike. Then I'll be off to Andorra for the fourth World Cup.

A huge thanks to all my sponsors






No comments:

Post a Comment